Coinmarketcap - Cryptocurrency Exchange Starts Here
CoinMarketCap is a cryptocurrency price-tracking website that was founded in 2013. It tracks a wide range of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Zilliqa, Zcash, and SafeMoon. It is one of the most referenced cryptocurrency websites worldwide and has gained popularity on platforms like Twitter and Instagram. This review will discuss what CoinMarketCap is, how it operates, and how it can help you track and diversify your investment portfolio to potentially earn profits. We will also list numerous popular coins on the website to keep you informed of what to watch out for.
What is CoinMarketCap:
CoinMarketCap is a free cryptocurrency website that tracks the prices of over 20,000 cryptocurrencies, with a total market capitalization of $2.5 trillion or £1.8 trillion. It is widely regarded as the go-to resource for crypto enthusiasts.
CoinMarketCap was founded by Brandon Chez in 2013. Currently, it is owned and operated by Binance, one of the leading cryptocurrency exchanges.
Contrary to common misconceptions, CoinMarketCap is not an exchange, wallet, or trading platform, and it does not facilitate token purchases. Instead, the website serves as a comprehensive data aggregator, providing real-time prices, market capitalizations, trading volumes, and other essential information for different tokens. It also offers links to various exchanges where users can engage in buying and selling activities. CoinMarketCap supports a wide range of exchange types, including spot exchanges, derivatives exchanges, and decentralized finance (DeFi) platforms or DEXs.
Your Go-To Source for the Latest News and Tools in the Blockchain Sector - Coinnav.io.
The History of CoinMarketCap:
- May 2013: CoinMarketCap was first launched, providing a comprehensive listing of cryptocurrencies and their market data.
- May 2016: Introduced its first public API, allowing developers to access and integrate cryptocurrency market data into their applications.
- May 2018: Developed and released a mobile application for iOS, expanding its accessibility to mobile users.
- August 2018: Launched its professional API, offering advanced features and data for developers and businesses.
- April 2019: Expanded its mobile presence by releasing an Android application, reaching a wider user base.
- November 2019: Introduced liquidity metrics, providing users with additional information on the trading volume and liquidity of cryptocurrencies.
- April 2020: Acquired by Binance for $400 million, allowing for further growth and integration within the cryptocurrency ecosystem.
Throughout its history, CoinMarketCap has continually evolved and expanded its offerings, becoming a trusted and widely used platform for accessing cryptocurrency market data and insights.
How Does CoinMarketCap Work?
CoinMarketCap.com is a trusted and widely used cryptocurrency data platform. It operates by regularly updating statistical data every 5 minutes, collaborating with various exchanges to ensure accurate and up-to-date information.
By calculating the average price from multiple exchanges, CoinMarketCap.com provides comprehensive information on over 16,000 cryptocurrencies, with a total market capitalization of $19.24 trillion. This extensive coverage allows users to stay informed about the latest prices, market trends, and rankings of cryptocurrencies.
Visitors can access this information for free, supported by advertisements. CoinMarketCap.com offers a range of features, including price tracking, historical data, charts, and price alerts. Users can view charts for different timeframes, such as 1 hour, 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, or 1 year, enabling them to analyze price movements over different periods.
Additionally, CoinMarketCap.com provides detailed information about each asset, including price changes, 24-hour high and low points, trading volumes, and market capitalization. Users can also explore a variety of lists, such as the top 500, 300, 100, 30, or 5 coins, as well as newly added coins, trending coins, and top gainers/losers.
You can view the full list of requirements here.
What Can I Learn from CoinMarketCap?
CoinMarketCap provides valuable insights into the cryptocurrency market by offering a wealth of information based on the latest data. Here are some key aspects you can learn from CoinMarketCap:
- Market Capitalization: Tracks over 10,000 cryptocurrencies, allowing you to explore their market capitalizations. This metric provides an overview of a cryptocurrency's total value, calculated by multiplying the unit price by the circulating supply. For instance, if a coin has a circulating supply of 10 million units and a price of $5, its market capitalization would be $50 million.
- Price and Volume: CoinMarketCap provides real-time price data and 24-hour trading volumes for cryptocurrencies. You can easily track the current average price of a cryptocurrency and assess its trading volume, which represents the total value of trades conducted within the past 24 hours. Monitoring price fluctuations and volume trends can help you gauge market sentiment and identify potential trading opportunities.
- Dominance and Rankings: Offers insights into the dominance of major cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), and others. Dominance refers to the percentage share of a specific cryptocurrency's market capitalization compared to the overall cryptocurrency market. It helps assess the influence and significance of a cryptocurrency within the market.
- Supply and Circulation: Displays the circulating supply of each cryptocurrency, representing the number of units available in the market. Additionally, you can access information on the maximum supply or total issuance limit of a cryptocurrency. Understanding the supply dynamics of a coin can provide insights into its scarcity and potential value.
- Historical Data and Charts: Allows you to analyze historical price data and view interactive charts over different timeframes, such as 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, or even longer periods. This historical perspective enables you to assess price trends, volatility, and performance over time.
CoinMarketCap is a valuable resource for investors, traders, and enthusiasts, offering comprehensive and up-to-date information on the cryptocurrency market. By leveraging the data and insights provided by CoinMarketCap, you can make more informed decisions and stay informed about the latest developments in the rapidly evolving world of cryptocurrencies.
How to Get Listed on CoinMarketCap
CoinMarketCap.com is a widely recognized platform that tracks and provides data on thousands of cryptocurrencies. Getting listed on CoinMarketCap is a significant achievement for a new cryptocurrency project, as it enhances visibility and credibility within the industry. To ensure accurate and up-to-date information, CoinMarketCap follows a rigorous listing process based on certain criteria.
The specific requirements for listing on CoinMarketCap may evolve over time, but they generally include the following:
- Cryptocurrency Nature: The token must be a legitimate cryptocurrency, built on a blockchain network with cryptography-based security.
- Trading Volume and Market Capitalization: The token should be actively traded on reputable exchanges with sufficient trading volume. CoinMarketCap considers both the trading volume and market capitalization of a cryptocurrency when evaluating its listing eligibility. The market capitalization reflects the total value of a cryptocurrency, calculated by multiplying the token's price by its circulating supply.
- Exchange Listings: The token must be listed on reputable exchanges with established trading history. CoinMarketCap collaborates with various exchanges to obtain real-time trading data, ensuring accurate price and volume information.
- Public Availability: The cryptocurrency should have a public URL or official website where users can find relevant information, including project details, team members, whitepapers, and other resources.
- Project Viability and Community Interest: CoinMarketCap takes into account the viability and community interest in a project when considering its listing. Factors such as project innovation, development progress, community engagement, and market demand play a role in the evaluation process.
It's important to note that CoinMarketCap regularly reviews and updates its listing criteria to adapt to industry trends and maintain data integrity. Meeting the initial requirements does not guarantee immediate listing, as the final decision rests with CoinMarketCap's team.
Being listed on CoinMarketCap provides valuable exposure and facilitates access to a wide audience of cryptocurrency enthusiasts, investors, and traders. It enables projects to showcase their progress, attract potential investors, and enhance their overall visibility within the crypto ecosystem.
To initiate the listing process, project teams can submit a request to CoinMarketCap, providing relevant details and documentation. CoinMarketCap's team will then assess the application based on the current listing criteria and make a determination.
Overall, getting listed on CoinMarketCap can significantly benefit cryptocurrency projects, helping them reach a broader audience and establish credibility in the rapidly evolving crypto market.
Where Does COINMARKETCAP.COM Get Its Data From?
CoinMarketCap.com obtains its data from a variety of reputable sources, including major cryptocurrency exchanges. The website employs a combination of APIs and direct data partnerships to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information provided.
CoinMarketCap.com has established relationships with multiple exchanges, including but not limited to Binance, Coinbase, Bitstamp, and Kraken. These exchanges are known for their high trading volumes and liquidity, making them reliable sources of market data.
To maintain data integrity, CoinMarketCap.com employs data aggregation and cleansing techniques. The platform continuously collects and verifies data from multiple sources, cross-references it, and applies algorithms to calculate accurate prices, trading volumes, market capitalization, and other essential metrics.
It's worth noting that CoinMarketCap.com regularly updates its data to reflect the latest market trends and trading activity. Users can rely on the website to access real-time and up-to-date information about thousands of cryptocurrencies.
CoinMarketCap.com publishes its methodology here.
CoinMarketCap's Final Conclusion
CoinMarketCap is a widely inclusive cryptocurrency website that can be accessed on desktop and mobile devices, providing a plethora of DeFi insights, valuable tools, and complimentary crypto rewards. Users can monitor over 16,000 cryptocurrencies, establish watchlists, track portfolios, backtest strategies, and much more. CoinMarketCap remains an essential data source for both novice and experienced crypto traders, all without the need for costly premium API services. With its exceptional level of customization, it's evident why CoinMarketCap continues to be highly favored.
🔺 Disclaimer: The information presented in this post is not intended as financial advice, but rather for general informational purposes. Trading cryptocurrencies carries substantial risks. It is important to understand these risks and assume responsibility for your own financial decisions.